Lebanon’s health ministry says at least 19 people have been killed in Israeli air strikes in the southern part of the country, as fighting between Israel and Hezbollah continues despite a recently extended ceasefire.
According to the ministry, 10 people were killed in one strike that hit a house in the town of Deir Qanoun. The victims included three children and three women. Three other people were injured in the same attack, including a young girl.
Officials also reported that nine more people were killed and 29 others wounded in separate Israeli strikes on the Nabatieh and Tyre districts.
Fighting Continues Despite Ceasefire Extension
The latest casualties come less than a week after the United States said Lebanon and Israel had agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days. Talks between the two sides are expected to resume at the beginning of June.
However, the extension has not stopped the violence. Israel and Hezbollah have continued to exchange fire, especially in southern Lebanon, where the conflict has remained intense.
Lebanon became directly involved in the wider conflict on March 2, after Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel. The group said the attack was in retaliation for US-Israeli strikes that killed Iran’s supreme leader.
Israel Says It Is Targeting Hezbollah
Israel has said its strikes are aimed at Hezbollah, the Iran-backed Shia armed group operating in Lebanon. However, Lebanese officials say civilians have repeatedly been killed in the attacks, including women and children.
Hezbollah, meanwhile, has continued to fire rockets and drones into northern Israel. The group has also targeted Israeli troops occupying parts of southern Lebanon.
On Tuesday, the Israeli military said another soldier had been killed in a Hezbollah attack in southern Lebanon.

Hezbollah Claims Clashes With Israeli Forces
Hezbollah said its fighters clashed with Israeli forces near the town of Haddatha, according to reports from Agence France-Presse. The group also claimed it destroyed an Israeli tank during the confrontation.
In addition, Hezbollah said it had attacked Israeli forces in southern Lebanon and targeted Iron Dome air defence platforms near the border in northern Israel.
The BBC said it had contacted the Israeli Defense Forces for comment on the latest strikes.
Death Toll in Lebanon Surpasses 3,000
Lebanon’s health ministry said on Monday that more than 3,000 people have been killed by Israeli strikes in the country since the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah began in March.
The US-brokered ceasefire agreement allows Israel to carry out strikes it says are intended to stop Hezbollah’s military activity. Still, the continued exchange of attacks has raised doubts about whether the ceasefire can reduce violence on the ground.
Israeli ground forces also continue to occupy a strip of territory about 10km from the Lebanese border. The area was captured during the conflict and remains under Israeli control.
Southern Lebanon Remains Under Pressure
The latest strikes show how fragile the ceasefire remains. While diplomatic efforts are ongoing, communities in southern Lebanon continue to face the impact of air attacks, displacement, and growing insecurity.
With both Israel and Hezbollah continuing military operations, the situation remains tense. The coming talks in June may be critical, but for now, the violence in southern Lebanon shows few signs of easing.